Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Battle of the Sexes Continues

Now that grades are finally in, I'm looking forward to getting some rest.  I had hoped to last night, but before dawn Ragnarok erupted.  There were flashes of light and loud noises, and it seemed the end of the world was imminent.  Turned out it was only a thunderstorm, not Armageddon.  It's been so many months since we've had any rain here on the South Plains that I'd forgotten what it was like.  But I digress.  The point is I'm not going to have anything new ready for a day or so, at least as far as reviews or in-depth essays go.

A couple of months ago I wrote a post entitled "In Defense of Traditional Gender Roles in Fantasy" which I expected to generate some heat.  Instead it sank like a stone.  Although in the last month it's gotten 20 hits, 10 of them in the last week.  It may resurrect itself, zombie-like.  It seems like someone is taking an interest.



Then this morning, over at the Home of Heroics blog, Jonathan Moeller wrote about anachronisms in heroic fiction.  Since he only has 1000 words, he limited himself to women warriors rather than making an exhaustive list.  Can you say "firestorm"? (He did hint in one of his replies that athiesm in fantasy societies was a possible future post.)

Of course, the new issue of Black Gate, which should be in the mail to me even as I write, is a themed issue.  What is the theme?  Warrior women, of course.  I was planning on reviewing each story individually, although not necessarily giving each story its individual post.  Have to wait and see about that, depending on story length.

But this whole brouhaha over at HoH is making me itch to read the stories.  You can bet I'm going to read and review them very carefully now.

In the meantime, I'm going to be reading history, looking are references to female warriors.

No comments:

Post a Comment