Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Announcing Adventures Fantastic Books

I thought I'd let you know that I've added a bookstore to the site, or at least a link to a bookstore.  It's there on the upper right.  This is something entirely new, so it may undergo a number of changes before it's all settled.  In other words, Adventures Fantastic Books is very much a work in progress.  In the interest of full disclosure, I should tell you that I'm part of the Amazon Associates program, and everything in the bookstore is through Amazon.  I get a small pittance from each title sold through Adventures Fantastic Books.  Right now there are four categories, although I plan to expand.  The fantasy and science fiction categories will allow you to purchase any title in those categories Amazon currently stocks.  As a result, some of the titles in the fantasy section may not be the type of fantasy I focus on here.  But there's Search feature that will allow you to find anything in that category or in science fiction.

I could only include titles that I hand choose, but that will take a while, especially as there's so much fantasy and science fiction out there.  Each title has to be entered by hand, and there is a limit to how many items I can include, on the order of 500 or so.  While I could put a wide selection in that way, it's a time consuming process.  I'm adding items by hand in the other two categories, Historical Adventure and Featured Books.  I'll be adding more to these categories, but right now Historical Adventure has titles by Robert Low, Harold Lamb, Ben Kane, Bernard Cornwell, Conn Iggulden, Scott Oden, and others.

The Featured Books will change frequently; probably not every day (although it's a thought) but at least once a week.  Right now all the titles that were shortlisted for the David Gemmell Awards are there.

I'm learning as I go here, and I'd appreciate your feedback.  Please feel free to let me know what works and what doesn't.  Should the book most recently reviewed be the Featured Book?  Are there categories you would like to see added?  Are there authors in Historical Adventure I've overlooked?  I'm intending to add categories for History and perhaps Detective or Pulp Fiction.  Are there any other categories I should include? 

Whether you buy anything through Adventures Fantastic Books or not, thank you for your support, comments, and taking the time to read this blog.

3 comments: