Thursday, March 14, 2013

Writng Fantasy Heroes Arrives

Writing Fantasy Heroes
Jason M. Waltz, ed.
Rogue Blades Entertainment
trade paper, 202 pages, $14.99

This isn't a review.  That will come later, after I've read the book.  I don't normally profile books until I've read them, but in this case I'm making an exception.  I think you'll understand.

This volume contains 13 essays (plus an introduction by Steven Erikson) on how to write heroes in fantasy.  The contributors include (in no particular order) Glen Cook, Brandon Sanderson, C. L. Werner, Howard Andrew Jones, Ian C. Esslemont, Ari Marmell, Paul Kearney, Orson Scott Card.  I could go on.  But I won't.  You can discover the rest for yourself.

I've reviewed works by several of the above here at Adventures Fantastic, and there are others on that list I haven't gotten to yet, at least as far as reviews are concerned. There will be some great writing advice in there.  (I know, I've already peeked.)

I also know some of the people who read this blog are writers at various stages of their careers.  In the interest of helping you improve your craft (because I'm selfish and want great books by you to read), I thought I'd announce this book here.  And, yes, gloat, because my copy arrived today.  I'm going to steal time from some other commitments later tonight and start reading it.  I'll post a full review when I'm done.

Writing Fantasy Heroes is from Rogue Blades Entertainment and is available from Amazon and B&N.  I was completely surprised when I heard about it.  Rogue Blades Entertainment hasn't had anything out in a while, and they've been sorely missed.  Jason, it's great to have you back.


18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip. This looks interesting. . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. The first two chapters (Janet and Chris Morris and Cecilia Holland, repsectively)have some interesting things in them.

      Delete
  2. My usual reaction to these sorts of books is to ignore them completely, but between the list of names involved and your endorsement of its quality I might just have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A! My intentions exactly :) Please be sure to let me (and the world) know if you enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. I am eagerly awaiting my copy to arrive already. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine arrived faster than Amazon said it would, so hopefully yours will show up earlier than you were expecting.

      Delete
  4. I find that one should only own a handful of "how to write" books. Otherwise, you could have shelves full and spend more time & money reading about writing than doing it.

    That said, this one looks good and directly addresses a genre I care about, so I will be purchasing it.

    Besides, the blurb had me at "Glen Cook." ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Paul - but I'm glad this one will make an exception :) And you'll be very pleased with Glen's contribution - it's one of my favorites.

      Delete
  5. To me, these "how to" type books are just another fun genre to read in, especially if they are authors I admire. Kind of a glimpse behind the curtain type of thing, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. They can be read as "behind the scenes", if not lessons in writing.

      I am curious about Glen Cook, because I know in interviews (of which there were very few until recently) his usual answer is "Write! Don't talk about it, do it!"

      It'd be nice to read a little more about what goes into his process - as a fan.

      Delete
    2. Funny, cuz that's exactly what he told me. Then I sweet talked him into contributing and it's been great interacting with him ever since.

      And you're right, Chris, at least in this case. I requested the authors to write in a conversational tone as if they were sitting and chatting with fans/friends at a convention. Overall, I think they delivered very well. And yes, all were requested to provide proof in the pudding by putting forward their own words as examples of their advice.

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to hearing more about this collection. I certainly hope it is as good as it promises to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, I'll be picking this one up. It looks great! Also glad Jason has another title available.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charles and Ty, I've read the first four chapters. There's some good stuff in here. Details when I've finished the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! Thanks Keith, very happy to appear here on Adventures Fantastic once again :) I'm not sure how I missed this till now.

    I am very eager to hear the responses of you and the folks above - many of you long time co-fans and awesome supporters of RBE. Much thanks to all - please be sure to add your thoughts on Goodreads and Amazon (a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do, right?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome. Once I've finished the book (probably next week with everything on my plate at the moment), I'll post reviews at Goodreads and Amazon as well as here. Good to see RBE with something new out.

      Delete
  10. Yup. I'll be buying this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete