Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Happy Birthday, Michael Moorcock

Today is Michael Moorcock's 73rd birthday.  All of us here at Adventures Fantastic want to wish him a very happy.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Moorcock on a couple of occasions, World Fantasy 2000 in Corpus Christi and the Nebula Awards in Austin in 2008.  What I haven't had the pleasure of doing is reading much of his work.  (After he signed those books, they've tended to stay on the shelf, something that happens to most of my signed editions.)  I've read some of his work and enjoyed it, don't misunderstand me.  I've just not found the time to dive deeply into his oeuvre.  I'm hoping to read the Elric stories this year as well as some of his shorter series.  Or start them, at least.  I may not be able to finish everything this year.

Anyway, Happy Birthday, Mr. Moorcock.  And many happy returns.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice.

    I've read some Moorcock, but holy heck the guy has written a lot.

    I need to get to more of his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed what little I've read, but so much of it is so interconnected, I don't know where to start.

      Delete
  2. I met him many years ago at a World fantasy con. I've probably read most of his fantasy stuff, but not the more SF stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read almost everything of his and I'd recommend starting with Elric, Keith. You can enjoy those books without having read any of his other stuff, and they give you a good grounding in his Multiverse. You can branch out from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That was the approach I was going to take. I should get started on that sometime after the first of the year.

      Delete